Having a Baby?
Whanake Te Kura is here for you.
This is a fantastic kaupapa open to all pregnant women - and their partners.
Two-day wānanga/workshops enable you to learn about yourself as a hapū woman, changes to your body, lifestyle and wellbeing, caring for yourself, preparing for labour and birth, relationships, and changes in the home.
Plus, you’ll make friends for life.
Over the two days we will cover together information such as :
- Whakawhanaungatanga Immunisations
- Kaupapa Maori/Mana Wāhine Clay work / Ipu whenua
- Midwife’s responsibilities Your rights
- Labour and birthing Look at the birthing units at hospital
- Medical interventions Healing post birth
- Baby’s life in your womb – ie lifestyle Safe sleep – Pēpi pod / Wahakura
- Support in labour, postnatal, life after baby
- Breastfeeding basics/tautoko/reality
- Woman’s body – before, during, after hapūtanga
- Changes for you, dad, as parents, in the relationship
- Parenting – easy things to know and notice
- Bathing your baby
- Meditation, breathing, visualisation to connect with baby
The next wānanga in your area are:
Thursday 7th and Friday 8th NAPIER
Tuesday 12th and Wednesday 13th HASTINGS
Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd NAPIER
Tuesday 26th and Wednesday 27th HASTINGS
Hastings: Te Taiwhenua o Heretaunga, 821 Orchard Rd, Camberley,
Napier : St Augustine's Anglican Church, 46 Riverbend Road , Marewa
CHB : Waipukarau Centre, Cnr Ruataniwha & Herbert Streets Waipukurau
Some feedback from our new parents
"Enjoyed the aura (feel) of the space, feel less alone when you’re with other people in the same boat."
"At first I was a bit nervous being a dad here, but I’m glad I came, it was really cool, and you learn what the mum will go through."
"Didn’t think about what happens after the birth – our bodies, the healing process, and parenting."
"Programme is fantastic and knowledgeable."
To enrol for Whanake Te Kura ,phone 0800 TAIWHENUA.
Ask for our registration centre, Te Wairatahi.
Links and more images
View links to other helpful parenting resources and information.