Having a Baby?
Whanake Te Kura is here for you.
Whanake Te Kura is a fantastic kaupapa open to all pregnant women - and their partners.
Two-day wānanga/workshops enable you to learn about yourself as a hapū woman, changes to your body, lifestyle and wellbeing, caring for yourself, preparing for labour and birth, relationships, and changes in the home.
Plus, you’ll make friends for life.
Over the two days we will cover together information such as:
- Whakawhanaungatanga Immunisations
- Kaupapa Maori/Mana Wāhine Clay work / Ipu whenua
- Midwife’s responsibilities Your rights
- Labour and birthing Look at the birthing units at hospital
- Medical interventions Healing post birth
- Baby’s life in your womb – ie lifestyle Safe sleep – Pēpi pod / Wahakura
- Support in labour, postnatal, life after baby
- Breastfeeding basics/tautoko/reality
- Changes for you, dad, as parents, in the relationship
- Parenting – easy things to know and notice
- Bathing your baby
- Meditation, breathing, visualisation to connect with baby
2020 wānanga dates
Two-day wānanga – Thursday and Friday, 9.30am – 3.00pm
- HASTINGS: Te Taiwhenua o Heretaunga, 821 Orchard Rd, Camberley, Hastings
- FLAXMERE: Te Whare Pora, Shop 16, Flaxmere Shopping Centre, Swansea Rd, Flaxmere
- NAPIER: St. Augustine’s Anglican Church, 46 Riverbend Rd, Marewa, Napier
- CENTRAL HB: Te Taiwhenua o Heretaunga, Cnr Ruataniwha & Herberts St Waipukurau
|Hastings 18th and 19th||Flaxmere 2nd and 3rd||Flaxmere 6th and 7th|
|Napier 25th and 26th||Napier 30th and 31st||Hastings 20th and 21st|
|Napier 27th and 28th|
Some feedback from our new parents
"Enjoyed the aura (feel) of the space, feel less alone when you’re with other people in the same boat."
"At first I was a bit nervous being a dad here, but I’m glad I came, it was really cool, and you learn what the mum will go through."
"Didn’t think about what happens after the birth – our bodies, the healing process, and parenting."
"Programme is fantastic and knowledgeable."
To enrol for Whanake Te Kura, phone 0800 TAIWHENUA.
Ask for our registration centre, Te Wairatahi.
Links and more images
View links to other helpful parenting resources and information.
Click on an image below to see larger view of image and slideshow.